Monday, September 1, 2008

Day 1 - September 1

Each day a new post will allow you to comment on how God is teaching you and how your focus on prayer is making a difference. Feel free to share prayer requests. If they're for another person, please have their permission before posting. And share how God is answering your prayers as well.

Let's use this daily and regularly to encourage one another!

First, I tell you to pray for all people, asking God for what they need and being thankful to him. Pray for rulers and for all who have authority so that we can have quiet and peaceful lives full of worship and respect for God. This is good, and it pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to know the truth. (1 Timothy 2:1-4 NCV)

9 comments:

Rick Lawrenson said...

Especially on my heart this morning are the Gulf Coast residents during Hurricane Gustav.

And thanks for the Word this AM about the need to be in fellowship with others, esp. when handling temptations.

Burnie said...

This morning I prayed that God would use these next days to make me more aware of chenges I need to make within my own life so He can effectively use me as He desires. I am praising Him for my Dad's life, and the way the service for my dad went on Saturday. We were not at NHC yesterday, but look forward to being back worshiping with our church family this week. One of my thoughts during my prayer time was that "people need people". I prayed that God would grow our community through our Connections Groups these next 40 days so that we can better serve each other in fellowship.

Roxanne said...

As I was preparing for my first 15 minutes, I found a starting spot, written by David a long, long time ago:

Psalm 19 (The Message version)
Clean the slate, God, so we can start the day fresh!
Keep me from stupid sins,
from thinking I can take over Your work;
Then I can start this day sun-washed,
scrubbed clean of the grime of sin.
These are the words in my mouth;
these are what I chew on and pray.
Accept them when I place them on the morning altar"

Andy Lawrenson said...

Last night I set the coffee maker up to start on auto this morning, probably a smart move because the smell of the coffee wafting through the house woke me before the alarm did.

My prayer time this morning focused on the team members on the nursery, children and youth ministry teams. I also prayed to God asking him to strengthen the marriages and families in our church.

As a youth ministry team we are praying that God will grow our team. We desire to reach more students but wonder if God will send them to us if we aren't prepared to adequately minister to them.

The 15 minutes flew by and I went over into the 6:30 time slot but I'm pretty sure God didn't mind.
I noticed that Jay had signed up on the same slot as I did so it's cool to know a brother is praying for NHC as I'm praying.

I read Psalm 1 and especially was encouraged by verse 6, "The Lord watches over the way of the righteous"
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm%201&version=31

Rebecca Meyers said...

I had mixed feelings this morning when I drove out onto the bypass. It was very nice to zoom right onto the road with no traffic but it was sort of a wake up call that the off season has begun. I'd just like to request prayer for all the local business owners who depend on the craziness. That we are all able to spend this down time, mixed with this awesome next 80 days,focusing on prayer and seeing amazing things happen! I, too, will be holding up the Gulf Coast residents in prayer.

Misha said...

First, I prayed for our elders. Asking God to grant them wisdom and discernment. I lifted each one of them up along with the ministries they focus on. Then my prayers turned to the youth, Lil'K, KidMo and nursery workers. (Praise God for each and everyone of you!!) Like Andy said, the time flew by for me as well. I was also thinking of Alicia, Jay's wife, who signed up for the same time as I did. Great minds ....

wereart said...

I had no idea that 15 minutes could pass so quickly. With my morning coffee today I began to prepare a list for prayer tonight. I sure am thankful God has lots of time for me because my list was way too long. In closing tonight, I told God that I was really excited about this 40 days of prayer because I knew for sure that in 40 days we would get to know each other a lot better. I assured Him that with His help I wanted to be completely obedient to His desires for my life.

Bonnie said...

I set my cell phone to go off and remind me. I was in small group when the Hallelujah Chorus sounded. tee hee.. I knew I'd have a conflict, so I switched with someone for a different time slot. Can't wait till tomorrow to get my kids involved.
Bonnie

Tina said...

I was afraid that I wasn't going to remember praying at 9:15 tonight because it isn't when I am usually praying. I wrote a big note out and pinned it to my note board next to the computer and prayed that I would not miss it - I didn't. I was glad that I had told the kids as well as my husband that during this time I will take no phone calls and talk to nobody unless it was an emergency...and found my space. You know, before I even began praying something was placed on my heart and I can only think it was God preparing me for time with Him. I was thinking about the heaviness of concerns about my-self, my-family, my-school, my-finances...and how much brain-time that consumes. Then I was "reminded" that he will take care of all of those things as I focus more on things of concern to Him first. When it came time for prayer, I was definitely more prepared...