Friday, September 5, 2008

How to organize your daily prayer time

I'm keeping a prayer journal where I write down what I'm praying and recording answers as they are given. But I had this question: Should I pray for the same things every day? I mean, 15 minutes zips by.

Well, why not organize the requests in some way so that each day you're praying for a specific "category" of requests? Robin Brooks, our missionary in New Zealand suggested something like this to us one time when she was speaking at NHC. It might be a great help to you in your daily Quiet Time. Include yourself and others in these daily prayers.

Sunday - Spiritual Growth
Monday - Financial needs
Tuesday - Church, Ministry team mates, Connection Groups, Pastors
Wednesday - Missions and outreach opportunities here and through our missionaries
Thursday - Temptation and spiritual warfare struggles
Friday - Family
Saturday - Safety and health

Do these cover everything? Obviously not. But they'll help keep you focused. And you can add special requests and praises every day.

1 comment:

Barbara Kay said...

Thanks for the helpful suggestion. I was beginning to feel redundant and rushing at the end as well. I know there are some things that will remain on my daily prayer list, but it will help to concentrate on certain other things on different days. I probably won't have a structure so specific as the days of the week, but I will make sure everything gets addressed during prayer time at some point during the week. It's comforting to know that God knows from our on-going conversation during the day what's on my heart and mind, even if it doesn't get mentioned in prayer time every day.